"Love is one of the chief characteristics of Deity, and ought to be manifested by those who aspire to be the sons of God. A man filled with the love of God, is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race" (Joseph Smith Jr., Dec. 15, 1840; in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1969], 174).

"All I can offer the world is a good heart and a good hand" (Joseph Smith Jr., July 9, 1843; in Teachings, 313).

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Wednesday, January 1, 1969

Time has slipped into a new year, and we are marking our days with new numbers now. The year that just departed I reverently regard as the most fruitful of my life to this point. I can say this because it was during this period I fell in love with the gospel, came to understand what it was really about, came to appreciate how important to me parents and family are, shared in deep and meaningful friendships for the first time, fell in love with Karen, completed a most successful year of growth at college, received a mission call, started learning a new language and a new way of life, and finally arrived here in Brazil. What greater blessings could I have sought for than these so generously offered? But a new year is here now and it has to be made better than the last or wherein is progress? This one I have offered to the Lord and only the best is good enough for Him.

No comments: