"Love is one of the chief characteristics of Deity, and ought to be manifested by those who aspire to be the sons of God. A man filled with the love of God, is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race" (Joseph Smith Jr., Dec. 15, 1840; in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1969], 174).

"All I can offer the world is a good heart and a good hand" (Joseph Smith Jr., July 9, 1843; in Teachings, 313).

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Monday, January 6, 1969

Yesterday afternoon following meetings we accompanied Irmão Sandri to his home, where we cast an evil spirit out of the house. Afterwards we ended our fast with a delicious meal prepared by his wife, being guests to their warm hospitality. Returning to our apartment we had ice cream that we purchased before going out to visit some members who lived an hour by bus from Petrópolis. We spent an hour and a half there, waited at the bus stop for an hour and a quarter for the return bus. All in all, a five-hour excursion. While waiting we were nearly rained on. It seems I am always getting into rainstorms when I was not supposed to get my toe bandage wet.

Today the four of us in the district went to a show during the afternoon. The show, The Biggest Bundle of Them All, was mostly dumb: a comedy gangster movie, but I guess it offered some good diversion.

Our weekly district meeting built me up in the Spirit as we discussed problems, goals, the work, and the gospel. Afterwards when Elder Slade and I went out tracting I felt like conquering the world. I try not to let discouragement enter into my life, but after bungling through a week without understanding much of the language it becomes awfully difficult.

No comments: