"Love is one of the chief characteristics of Deity, and ought to be manifested by those who aspire to be the sons of God. A man filled with the love of God, is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race" (Joseph Smith Jr., Dec. 15, 1840; in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1969], 174).

"All I can offer the world is a good heart and a good hand" (Joseph Smith Jr., July 9, 1843; in Teachings, 313).

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Friday, January 31, 1969

With a humbled heart, a grateful soul, I poured out gratitude to God today with more fervor than in a great while. I shall not try to write here the joys my heart was singing as I felt particularly close to the Spirit. I was reading a few of the sermons from the last general conference of the Church. While pondering the message of Elder Thomas S. Monson, of the Council of the Twelve, tears came to my eyes as my mind and understanding and heart were opened to instruction. That message (in the Improvement Era, Dec. 1968, 82) only started the process.

Talks of some of the other Brethren, inspired as they are, continued to build gratitude for the love of our Heavenly Father, for His gospel, for a world of blessings that are poured upon our heads from the open windows of heaven.

And then I turned to a picture of the resurrected Christ appearing to the Nephites. Here, I thought, is the embodiment and center of all love in the universe, all love that is pure, uplifting, and building. Oh, how I long to someday be called a personal friend of the Master (see John 15:13–15), to always share in the warmth of His love, to embrace and to worship Him, my Lord and my God. This promise is mine if I am willing to pay the price.

No comments: