"Love is one of the chief characteristics of Deity, and ought to be manifested by those who aspire to be the sons of God. A man filled with the love of God, is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race" (Joseph Smith Jr., Dec. 15, 1840; in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1969], 174).

"All I can offer the world is a good heart and a good hand" (Joseph Smith Jr., July 9, 1843; in Teachings, 313).

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Tuesday, December 31, 1968

Since my last chance to write in this record, a great many things have happened, a few of which should be noted here. My first night in Petrópolis my companion noticed I had some trouble with ingrown toenails and called the President. Not realizing the seriousness of that, I had ignored checking them before. We returned to Rio the next day and that Friday afternoon, December 20, had an operation. My right toenail was completely removed.

For the next few days I was in bed in the mission home, where the Johnsons were taking real good care of me. While there I reviewed my discussions, read Talmage's Jesus the Christ again, read nearly half of President McKay's Man May Know for Himself, typed onto stencil the entire new mission handbook, and visited the hospital every other day for bandage changes. Finally, on the evening of December 28, I returned to Petrópolis, and Elder Slade was grateful to finally have a companion again. I still have a bandage and must wear sandals.

Christmas Day I shared the morning with the Johnsons while they opened their presents. Later all the missionaries from near Rio attended the festivities: a meal with American food, a program, and community singing of carols, with yours truly at the piano. It was a great day.

1 comment:

Deano said...

The mission home and mission office were located in the same building at the top of a steep hill on Rua Stefan Zweig, 158, in the bairro of Laranjeiras.