"Love is one of the chief characteristics of Deity, and ought to be manifested by those who aspire to be the sons of God. A man filled with the love of God, is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race" (Joseph Smith Jr., Dec. 15, 1840; in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1969], 174).

"All I can offer the world is a good heart and a good hand" (Joseph Smith Jr., July 9, 1843; in Teachings, 313).

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Wednesday, January 15, 1969

Elder Slade is a fantastic person and probably the best model companion for me on the market. He offers me a great deal of his time and interest in ensuring a good start for my mission, time and interest beyond what he would be required to give. The most ready example is his helping me to learn the last two lessons that we did not cover in the Language Training Mission. He is not a spiritual powerhouse necessarily, but he knows why we are here and that we can only do an effective job with the Lord's aid. Personality-wise we differ, but there are no clashes or inhibitions between us. He likewise is quiet—that much we do have in common. I will miss him when he leaves soon for home because I do not feel I can yet fill his shoes, but I guess President Johnson thinks differently. And I guess I am going to have to do exactly that.

No comments: