"Love is one of the chief characteristics of Deity, and ought to be manifested by those who aspire to be the sons of God. A man filled with the love of God, is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race" (Joseph Smith Jr., Dec. 15, 1840; in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1969], 174).

"All I can offer the world is a good heart and a good hand" (Joseph Smith Jr., July 9, 1843; in Teachings, 313).

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Tuesday, January 14, 1969

Time is beginning to pick up, skipping along at a faster pace. It seems that Sunday piles up on Sunday with the other days just slipped in for the record. Now that I have spent a few weeks muddling around, it is time to start making something of myself and of my mission. I can chalk up many areas in which I am deficient, needful of growth and improvement, which has caused me, at Elder Slade's suggestion, to outline a chart of goals and guidelines. It includes general suggestions for improvement, as well as specifics in spirituality, language, physical, records, and correspondence. To incorporate all of these into useful habits will require mastering one at a time. Perfection is neither required nor possible in one step. But it is required: perfect character is the sum of continual day-by-day effort to master those traits associated with nobility. Greatness is a state of progression.

Last evening we (Elder Slade, the Holy Ghost, and I) gave the first discussion to the family of Joquim Fernando Agoea. They are sharp people, searching for the truth and willing to hear our message. They had a little trouble in understanding or accepting the conclusions of the lesson. This looks like it could be my first baptism and Elder Slade's last. And the beginning of happiness for this family.

Since yesterday was preparation day we spent the morning writing letters and having haircuts and such little details. I shared my experiences and thoughts and love with my family, with my friend Bob Russell, and with Karen. There are so many others I might write were there time. In the afternoon we hit a movie for lack of anything else to do. Studying may have been more valuable. Another good district meeting started the evening. After our lesson my heart was pouring out in gratitude and thanksgiving to the Lord.

The weekend saw the four elders in the district working on the churchyard Saturday morning (not a single member showed up) and going to Rio for a branch president's meeting the afternoon. Elder Slade and I went early to take care of business in the mission office.

President Johnson spoke to me, checking on my progress in the work and language and my toe. He reminded me again that everything indicated I would likely be a senior companion when Elder Slade left February 7, even though that would be after only five weeks of experience. The next few weeks will need to see fast growth, some miracles with the language, and closer companionship with the Spirit.

No comments: