"Love is one of the chief characteristics of Deity, and ought to be manifested by those who aspire to be the sons of God. A man filled with the love of God, is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race" (Joseph Smith Jr., Dec. 15, 1840; in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1969], 174).

"All I can offer the world is a good heart and a good hand" (Joseph Smith Jr., July 9, 1843; in Teachings, 313).

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Tuesday, October 13, 1970

Yesterday I wrote the longest letter of my entire mission: seven pages to Elder Blackham. There was so much to tell him, and I spent a great deal of space expressing my gratitude and love to him. His friendship and brotherhood are precious to me. I wrote four other letters also.

A little mix-up occurred today. Elder Ferrin had been scheduled to come yesterday to give us the fifth leadership seminar, but he never did show up. We had considered the possibility of his coming today but never seriously enough to drop by home to check. On our way to Relief Society, shortly before 3:00, we stopped by the house only to find them there waiting for us. Unfortunately, by this time he had no time for the meeting because return tickets to Recife were for 4:00. Sunday morning he had sent a telegram via the Brazilian postal telegraph system. We have not received it yet. A letter would have been here easily by now. Pois é.

Elder Hendrickson and I visited Apolinário and Idelta this evening. He is feeling somewhat better. I think his days are numbered, and he is slowly wearing out. We had an enjoyable visit with them.

No comments: