"Love is one of the chief characteristics of Deity, and ought to be manifested by those who aspire to be the sons of God. A man filled with the love of God, is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race" (Joseph Smith Jr., Dec. 15, 1840; in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1969], 174).

"All I can offer the world is a good heart and a good hand" (Joseph Smith Jr., July 9, 1843; in Teachings, 313).

Friday, October 8, 2010

Thursday, October 8, 1970

A beautiful letter arrived today from Elder Blackham. That was an animating experience. He affirmed that it was one of the longest letters he had written on his mission. By far it is the sharpest letter I have ever received. I would like to record all of it here, but its length prohibits all but the parts that more particularly touched me:

“You know, comp, I sure got shook up when I got transferred. For a while I wondered if I would pull out of my slump. Two and one half days of bus riding thinking about Maceió and my beloved companion is enough to make anyone sad. I had the good luck to receive a fine comp like Elder Christiansen. He’s a good man. If I had received a mais ou menos comp I think I would have been even longer in my slump. But you know, comp, you were right we were up for a very long time and it sure was great.

“I surely appreciate all the good times we had together. I thank you for sharing the work equally with me. That meant very much to me. I’ll always remember my work with you as a privilege. I guess I didn’t fully appreciate you until about a month previous to my transfer.

“In thinking about the relationship we had as comps the following thought keeps coming to mind. Elder Cleverly prayed to be able to have the pure love of Christ as a gift from God. As I think of our friendship that is what comes back to me. I think that is probably why we had such a good relationship. I firmly affirm that you, comp, manifested or shared with me that type of love. The Pure Love of Christ. I know that grace by grace your love for other children of God will increase. I think of any person I’ve ever really known you come closer to radiating the pure love of the Savior than any other. For that reason I think we enjoyed our little bit of heaven as you called it. That is certainly a good description. I always admired your capacity to love others and to some extent I felt very successful in extending my love to others by following your example. I think we were especially successful with each other. I think I can really and truthfully say I love you. I know that comes from inside and it is a glorious feeling.

“You know, comp, I don’t know what the President is going to do to replace you. I know there isn’t another elder like you. I just hope the branch can take the jolt. If you thought it was bad when I left, wait till you have to leave the old homestead away from home. You had better take buckets to church. That is going to be hard. Don’t worry about making yourself something you already are, indispensable!!

“Well (hole in the ground), comp, you are going to receive one of the longest letters I’ve ever written in Brazil. Four pages.

“I want to, as I terminate, express my love for you. I really do love you, Elder Cleverly. It is great to be able to say that and know that you know what I mean. I guess that is because you understand me. You understand me as a son of God as we are brothers in spirit. I said to you many times that one of the most marvelous principles of the gospel is that we as humans are capacitated to become like God if we make the effort. I pray for our success in returning to our Father’s presence. My prayers are with you there in Maceió. Keep up the good work.”

Sometimes the Lord answers prayers with a clear and unmistakable NO. I had prayed earnestly that Elder Blackham and I remain together longer as companions, if it were His will, but it seems it was not His divine pleasure to allow us that privilege. Every day I still remember my beloved brother and the things we shared, nightly expressing my gratitude to the Lord for Elder Blackham and his dear friendship and pleading that he be blessed in his new responsibilities in a completely new environment.

This week has been slipping right away. While working yesterday with Elder Knecht, I called Vitória to be a Sunday School teacher. Today Elder Smith and I worked together at Aldo’s house on a big chart we are designing to get the members involved in the work.

No comments: