"Love is one of the chief characteristics of Deity, and ought to be manifested by those who aspire to be the sons of God. A man filled with the love of God, is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race" (Joseph Smith Jr., Dec. 15, 1840; in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1969], 174).

"All I can offer the world is a good heart and a good hand" (Joseph Smith Jr., July 9, 1843; in Teachings, 313).

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Friday, October 16, 1970

Elder Stewart had good news for me. He feels it very unlikely that I’ll have to spend my last month in Rio. That is comforting.

The telegram Elder Ferrin sent Sunday morning arrived late Tuesday night. It was marked “urgent.”

Today the visits of the elders came to an end. To close our time together, we had an idea meeting, wherein we discussed everything and anything we wanted. A little more proselyting work to supplement our branch and member activities was suggested. We closed with a testimony meeting and sent them on their way. Elder Knight is taking a package to Elder Blackham for me. I sent a couple slides, a couple pairs of socks, his shell lamp (all of which he had forgotten), and a box of cookies from Dona Creuza. He should really love the cookies, which will give him saudades.

Elder Smith and I spent the afternoon writing an article about the Maceió Branch for the Church News. Elder Smith has the ideas; I write.

Primary attendance was good this afternoon for a change. Eleven children, which represents 50 percent, were out. After Primary, Elder Hendrickson and I spent the evening tracting in Trapiche.

No comments: