"Love is one of the chief characteristics of Deity, and ought to be manifested by those who aspire to be the sons of God. A man filled with the love of God, is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race" (Joseph Smith Jr., Dec. 15, 1840; in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1969], 174).

"All I can offer the world is a good heart and a good hand" (Joseph Smith Jr., July 9, 1843; in Teachings, 313).

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Monday, October 5, 1970

This morning I wrote a nice long letter to Elder Blackham. When Elder Blackham left for Rio, I told him the first thing he had to do when he saw a Bob’s was to drink a laranjada dupla [a large orange drink] for me. The letter I received from him last Wednesday started thusly:

“How are you today? I just thought I’d drop you a line and first of all tell you how much I enjoyed my first laranjada dupla, which I drank in your behalf. It was scrumptious, refreshing, really cold, strong and clean. I really enjoyed it. But you know something? It doesn’t compare to Dona Creuza’s apple pie or banana cream pie.”

All of the elders went to the beach today to play futebol. It really was a lot of fun. Elders Smith and Knecht didn’t show up quick enough from Maceió to play but were available for another leadership training session and a zone conference. We returned to Maceió this evening, leaving immediately following the conference.

Yesterday we tried pretty hard to get general conference. I finally found the session in English just as it was ending. Pois é. Then started a session in German, which was strong and clear, but I don’t remember much of my German. At least the choir sounded good. On the same frequency the Portuguese session began as soon as the German ended. This was at 7:00 in the evening when reception should have been good, but there was so much static as to make nothing understandable. It must have been an inspiring conference.

Yesterday’s meetings in Recife were enjoyable, but I sure missed Maceió. One of the most difficult decisions I have ever had to make was whether I should stay in Recife the entire weekend or return to Maceió for Sunday and back to Recife on Monday.

Yesterday Aldo taught a special lesson on chastity in priesthood meeting that got a little out of hand because of gross questions from the boys. Vitória taught her first Sunday School class and was super nervous. Adriano and Fátima were confirmed in fast and testimony meeting.

At night they also tried to listen to general conference at the church. There was a little falling out between Alexandre and Paulo, David, and Agamemnon. They had been playing like they should not have been, and Alexandre became a bit ticked off, and the three pounced on him. Aldo was asleep, but Elder Smith woke him up at this point, and was ticked off also. In MIA Saturday night there were some rough waters too.

No comments: