"Love is one of the chief characteristics of Deity, and ought to be manifested by those who aspire to be the sons of God. A man filled with the love of God, is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race" (Joseph Smith Jr., Dec. 15, 1840; in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1969], 174).

"All I can offer the world is a good heart and a good hand" (Joseph Smith Jr., July 9, 1843; in Teachings, 313).

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Monday, October 26, 1970

Today was one of the sharpest, most enjoyable, and relaxing preparation days I’ve passed in a long while. I was up early writing let-ters. Elders Ferrin and Morrell had spent the night with us so that Elder Ferrin could teach us the last leadership training class this morning. We took care of that just after breakfast and just before the rest of the zone showed up from Recife. This has been a truly inspiring and uplifting course, and Elder Ferrin has done an excellent job in presenting it to us. I really love and respect him.

As soon as the Recife elders showed up, only four more of them because four in the zone are now on their way to Rio, and Elder Sarager and his companion missed the bus, a few of us went for haircuts. I cut mine really short. I had a nice chat with the barber, who is an Assembly of God, about religion. He was a very nice fellow.

We bopped back home, switched into some gym trunks, and headed to the beach for a soccer game there. I went out of my mind. Never have I enjoyed a futebol game as much as I did today. We came back home and kicked around for a while. Dona Creuza had made us chocolate chip cookies to munch on. Elder Ferrin and I decided to go back to the beach for the afternoon. He taught me how to throw a football, which I had never been shown in all my life until now, and we tossed it back and forth for a while. We watched some fishermen drag in a net and sort out their catch. We lay on the warm sand, with only our shorts on, soaking in the tropical sun as we pursued a lengthy and fruitful discussion. Finally the hour grew late, and we came home to a refreshing cold shower.

In the late afternoon we all gathered at the chapel for a zone conference, which again was an inspirational meeting. I certainly appreciate Elder Brinton as zone leader for his leadership and support. In my testimony as the conference was ending I expressed the thought that I have really grown to love and respect him.

At 6:00 the elders headed back to Recife, and we came home to eat.

We discussed with Elder Brinton the feasibility of attending a futebol game Wednesday night when Botafogo from Rio meets Cruzeiro from Belo. We will probably go. Yesterday Santos beat an Alagoas all-star team 5 to 0. Everybody went wild when they saw Pelé, the national hero. The Trapichão has been officially called Estádio Rei Pelé. It is the fifth largest stadium in Brazil, holding some 108,000 people.

No comments: