"Love is one of the chief characteristics of Deity, and ought to be manifested by those who aspire to be the sons of God. A man filled with the love of God, is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race" (Joseph Smith Jr., Dec. 15, 1840; in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1969], 174).

"All I can offer the world is a good heart and a good hand" (Joseph Smith Jr., July 9, 1843; in Teachings, 313).

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Wednesday, April 15, 1970

This evening I entered the city of Maceió. After three days of traveling, it was good once again to be “home.” By some luck I timed my arrival to coincide with the hour the elders were eating dinner. The brethren here rent two houses side by side, all one building, and eat together. My arrival was rather exciting for everybody, although Elder Seal was not thrilled at the idea of leaving this place. Elder Randy Prisbrey, from Las Vegas, is my new companion. Elders Stephen Camargo and Michael Bradshaw make up the other half of the district.

Here is a little background. Last night about 10:30 Elder Hendrickson and I arrived in Recife, Pernambuco. Our trip had been without incident. An exciting part, or at least colorful part, was a ferry trip across the São Francisco River yesterday at noon, a stop in a very degenerate town called Penêdo, Alagoas, for lunch, and traveling on dirt roads through much of the states of Sergipe and Alagoas. We spent the night with the elders in Recife, and then I left for Maceió at 1:00 this afternoon, arriving four and a half hours later. And so here I am.

No comments: