"Love is one of the chief characteristics of Deity, and ought to be manifested by those who aspire to be the sons of God. A man filled with the love of God, is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race" (Joseph Smith Jr., Dec. 15, 1840; in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1969], 174).

"All I can offer the world is a good heart and a good hand" (Joseph Smith Jr., July 9, 1843; in Teachings, 313).

Monday, April 12, 2010

Sunday, April 12, 1970

As Elder Warner and I returned home last night from our weekly visit to Irmão Gilberto and his good wife Laura, Elder Ferrin and his companion were waiting for us. Immediately I expected something was up because the zone leader does not drop in at 10:30 at night just to chat, especially when he would see us the next day at meetings. The “something up” was this: I was being transferred, to where he did not know, but a bus trip out of Rio. Here after a year and four months in Rio and vicinity, I was finally to see more of Brazil!

Another bit of new was that Elder Bill Smith was being called as a new district leader over the new Irajá District, which is being formed from the Ramos and Cascadura districts.

This morning we visited Elder Smith to tell him the good news. Then we visited Elders Axtell and Clark to tell them of my departure and to gather back everything they had borrowed from me. Next stop was to Elders Demke and Bertasso for the same reasons.

In the early afternoon Elder Smith and I went to the mission home while our companions stayed to bring investigators to church. Elder Smith came with me so I could fill him in on the duties, responsibilities, and opportunities of a district leader. I have a great respect for Elder Smith. He is fit for the job now his. I found it a rare treat to be able to spend my last afternoon in Rio with him.

Arriving at the mission home, we learned the following: I am going to Maceió, in the state of Alagoas, where I will replace Elder Seal as district leader and possible, as far as Elder Gale knew, serve as branch president. President Johnson, out of Rio this week, had written me a letter of instructions but had forgotten to leave it with Elder Gale. The trip starts tomorrow morning at 6:45. We arrive in Recife Tuesday night at 10:30, or 40 hours later. From Recife on Wednesday will be another four hours back to Maceió.

Sacrament meeting and the time thereafter was one big good-bye. For seven months working here made me quite attached to the members and fairly well known among them. I was given scores of wishes for success and happiness in my new assignment, for a safe journey, for a speedy return. The Brazilians are a warm, emotional people, and a people one grows to love very much, and it can be imagined, therefore, what an experience it was to personally say good-bye to all.

No comments: