"Love is one of the chief characteristics of Deity, and ought to be manifested by those who aspire to be the sons of God. A man filled with the love of God, is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race" (Joseph Smith Jr., Dec. 15, 1840; in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1969], 174).

"All I can offer the world is a good heart and a good hand" (Joseph Smith Jr., July 9, 1843; in Teachings, 313).

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Monday, April 6, 1970

Today marks the 140th anniversary of the organization of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the 1,970th anniversary of the birth of the Savior. In Salt Lake City the general conference is in its final sessions.

A special district project, by assignment from President Johnson, began today. From 8:00 to 12:00 noon every day this week we are to teach the lessons to Elder Meyer. He has not been able to grasp them on his own with the time he had before. Each elder will have his turn for a two-hour shift throughout the week. Today the entire district except Elders Bertasso, Axtell, and I stayed at Elder Smith’s to help out with Elder Meyer. The three of us headed for town. We took the film back to the mission office, went to a bookbinder, cashed, ate dinner, saw Good-bye, Mr. Chips, bought material to have pants made, and were home in time for district meeting. Due to an unfortunate misunderstanding, everybody else was waiting at Elder Smith’s, and in the end there was finally no time for a district meeting.

I worked with Elder Axtell this evening, teaching a fifth and a second lesson. It was nearly midnight before we were in bed. I stayed with Elder Axtell at his house.

I sent a birthday greeting to my father, Ivard R Cleverly: “First I wish to send my wishes to Dad for a most happy birthday, number 55 this year, if I am counting correctly. I had planned to send a tape, as last year, but I have no access to a recorder. Therefore, my expression of gratitude and love come transmitted on the written page. Before another year can wear away I will personally deliver the message, accompanied by a big abraço, a Brazilian embrace.”

The rest of the letter followed: “Last evening we had the marvelous opportunity to receive via satellite a broadcast of the first session of general conference. It was translated into Portuguese. Thus we were able to hear President Smith’s first conference address as President of the Church. He sounded vigorous and healthy. The choir and organ sounded marvelous.

“Friday we met again in zone conference. President Johnson’s counsel and talk were, as ever, inspiring and challenging. In the testimony session the Spirit was poured out upon us all in a remarkable manner. I think few moments in my life have I been so happy. In the opening session I had the chance to present a talk on the assigned subject ‘What Is an Effective Prayer?’

“May this letter find everybody happy and healthy. God bless you one and all.”

No comments: