"Love is one of the chief characteristics of Deity, and ought to be manifested by those who aspire to be the sons of God. A man filled with the love of God, is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race" (Joseph Smith Jr., Dec. 15, 1840; in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1969], 174).

"All I can offer the world is a good heart and a good hand" (Joseph Smith Jr., July 9, 1843; in Teachings, 313).

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Friday, April 10, 1970

Time slips away so very quickly. Tuesday was my father’s birthday. Number 55. On Wednesday I spent a few hours with Elder Meyer helping him finish up the second lesson. The same evening I worked again with Elder Axtell to teach a lineage lesson. I love the hours I spend with Elder Axtell. He is a special soul and working at being a very great missionary. I joy in his joy and thrill in his progress. I cherish his brotherhood and friendship.

Yesterday Elder Ferrin worked with me in our area. I always love that opportunity too. Last night I spent with Elder Demke teaching a sixth, interviewing for baptism, and teaching a first. The lady to be baptized is not yet ready. The first went really well. A super family.

Yesterday and today I have been feeling particularly happy, blessed with a joy and a gratitude for life and its fulness. Finally I begin to feel like a missionary. An overflowing, outreaching love stirs in my heart for my beloved associates in this marvelous work and for the warm friendliness of the Brazilian people. I love life. It is a joy to be alive. The tender mercies of a loving heaven are poured upon me continually.

No comments: