"Love is one of the chief characteristics of Deity, and ought to be manifested by those who aspire to be the sons of God. A man filled with the love of God, is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race" (Joseph Smith Jr., Dec. 15, 1840; in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1969], 174).

"All I can offer the world is a good heart and a good hand" (Joseph Smith Jr., July 9, 1843; in Teachings, 313).

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Wednesday, February 12, 1969

Last Friday evening I had an experience that deepened my appreciation for the Savior’s atoning sacrifice and demonstrated the weaknesses of the flesh. I was changing the bandage on my toe for the first time since the operation and the pain, because of sticking to the raw skin where the toenail used to be, became so unbearable that I blacked out right there on the bed. It was only a few seconds but had Elder Sarager a bit worried. How weak we are! The Savior suffered such intense pain in Gethsemane, causing bleeding at the pores, that my experience is weak in comparison. His was for hours, mine only minutes. His was more than physical pain, mine only that. Yet Jesus Christ fainted not but perfected His Father’s plan. For this experience I am grateful and can appreciate and understand a little more clearly now.

Health is a beautiful and one of our most valuable gifts from our Father in Heaven. Like too many blessings we often do not appreciate it until it is taken from us or we forfeit the right to have it. If I have not yet learned another thing from my mission, I do know that health should be jealously guarded with good sense and the proper measure of faith. We must be clean that bear the vessels of the Lord.

Elder J. Martin Sarager, from Arizona, is my new companion. He has worked in Rio all his time here, which is one week longer in Brazil than I have. I knew him somewhat in the LTM. One interesting note I learned about his family already: like me, he comes from a family of nine children. These days I don’t run into that situation often.

During the last few days we have been tracting, checking out referrals, and generally getting the feel of our area (which includes all of downtown). Yesterday we learned that we were moving over into another area near the Tijuca chapel because two new elders from the States were joining the district today. We have to find a place to live, which could involve three more moves. For now we are to remain in the same pensão, but we spent this morning moving into another room.

Sunday were the meetings at the chapel. Although the facilities are nicer (the Tijuca chapel is a new, modern-designed building like any stake center found in the States) and the numbers larger than the ones I became used to in Petrópolis, still the singing is too slow, and meetings do not start on time.

Monday the district met together, took a cable car part way up towards Silvestre, and returned to the center of Rio to see a show about the Pope, In the Fisherman’s Sandals. I am glad I am not a Catholic. In the early evening was district meeting in the chapel.

Yesterday I worked during the day with Elder Clements, district and zone leader. He is a great man, and I relished every moment of the too short day. Before the recent transfers Elder Clements had Elder Sarager, my present companion, as his companion. Before Elder Sarager he had Elder Slade, my previous companion. Elder Clements was testing me out and giving me a check over. And, as I think about it, he had me doing most of the talking in our conversations all day.

Last night we saw a show, I am sorry to report, because we were not in a spirit to work and did not know what to do with an area no longer ours.

Carnival starts in Rio in a few days. How this devil’s holiday will affect the work is not readily evident, although our efforts will obviously be slowed down.

The district of Tijuca now consists of Sisters Evans and Jin, and Elders Clements (district leader), Sarager, Cleverly, Talbot, and Jones. Elder Clements will receive a new companion next week.

No comments: