"Love is one of the chief characteristics of Deity, and ought to be manifested by those who aspire to be the sons of God. A man filled with the love of God, is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race" (Joseph Smith Jr., Dec. 15, 1840; in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1969], 174).

"All I can offer the world is a good heart and a good hand" (Joseph Smith Jr., July 9, 1843; in Teachings, 313).

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Saturday, February 22, 1969

A few days ago a letter arrived from Elder Steve Hill, my friend serving in Germany. He wrote: "We've met some good people, but as a whole the race seems somehow awkward and disgustingly, though I suppose understandably, bound by tradition. I have, though it's been a fight, developed a much stronger testimony, one I can never deny. I've developed a tremendous appreciation for the Prophet Joseph Smith, and a greater understanding of the mission of the Savior, and therein gratitude and appreciation for the gospel of Jesus Christ." There was much more, but this most impressed me.

From Karen came a beautiful Valentine's greeting. The beauty was in the message, the thought, and the love. She still bubbles with a love of life, the gospel, the Savior, and people. When Karen walked into my life, I received one of my greatest blessings. How truly grateful I am for her.

Carnival ended Tuesday. The rains, which one of the sisters in the branch said always come on the final day, arrived a day late. Since Wednesday the weather in Rio has been nice as far as temperature goes.

Speaking of Carnival, I might make a few comments about that devil’s holiday. I can just see Satan rejoicing because of the foolishness of men. Carnival means the streets are filled with costumed and masked participants, all tuned to the beat (the devil's heartbeat) permeating the city. Immodesty and sexuality are increased at Carnival time: nine months from now will be the year's peak for illegitimate babies. Drinking and milling crowds and noise are all part of Carnival. What is so funny about it all is that the day following Carnival everybody rushes to the confession booth to make all well in Zion, or so they think, "and thus the devil cheateth their souls, and leadeth them away carefully down to hell" (2 Nephi 28:21).

No comments: