"Love is one of the chief characteristics of Deity, and ought to be manifested by those who aspire to be the sons of God. A man filled with the love of God, is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race" (Joseph Smith Jr., Dec. 15, 1840; in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1969], 174).

"All I can offer the world is a good heart and a good hand" (Joseph Smith Jr., July 9, 1843; in Teachings, 313).

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Saturday, February 15, 1969

"O Father, help these young men who are listening tonight, when they go home to get on their knees and commit themselves to thee; and then they may know, and I promise them that they may know, that with thy help they need not fear the future" (Improvement Era, Dec. 1967, 92).

These are the closing words of a prayer offered by Hugh B. Brown at the end of his talk in the priesthood session of the October 1967 general conference of the Church. That evening one of the important events in my life transpired. Returning to my room I knelt in grateful prayer and, then and there, committed my life, my time, my talents, my means, my energies to the Lord for the building of His kingdom. I placed my life on the altar, realizing that for the Savior it had to be my all or nothing.

Not always since then have I fully met the obligation I placed myself under, but I am trying. Tonight as I was reviewing this talk, the realization hit home that following every faithful effort to live that commitment I have been blessed with additional knowledge, revelation if you will, that removes all fears of the future.

At the time the Apostle spoke these words, my life was at a stage comparable to a richly fertile field. My environment was perfect for the full nourishment of the already planted seeds. And in the months immediately following my offering of whatever the Lord desired of me, I fell in love with the gospel and life and people. A whole garden of blessings blossomed in my life.

Tonight for the first time I realized how truly significant was that act that October evening. I understood a little better trends and sequences in my recent life. My love for President Brown, who truly is a great servant of the Lord, grew just a little greater. And the importance of such a covenant, later reinforced in the temple of the Lord, became a little clearer.

Oh, how great, how glorious, how good the name of our God. My use of words limits the overflowings of a grateful heart. To feel the impact of the Savior’s life, to know Jesus Christ as the Redeemer of the world, to share in His love—these are among life’s greatest joys.

No comments: