"Love is one of the chief characteristics of Deity, and ought to be manifested by those who aspire to be the sons of God. A man filled with the love of God, is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race" (Joseph Smith Jr., Dec. 15, 1840; in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1969], 174).

"All I can offer the world is a good heart and a good hand" (Joseph Smith Jr., July 9, 1843; in Teachings, 313).

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Tuesday, February 25, 1969

Last night's district meeting turned out being the best one I have attended since being a missionary. The Lord's Spirit was poured out upon us, and His influence strongly felt. In the meeting Elder Clements demonstrated how poorly we were doing as a district. This brought forth discussions, instructions, and inspiration I badly needed, we all needed. Resolutions, vocal and silent, were made. A spirit of repentance must have been present because as we spoke of ways to improve the work the Lord's Spirit was poured out upon us. Our testimony meeting at the close of the meeting was particularly powerful. My heart was so full of thoughts that I did not know where to voice my thanksgivings. I poured out a simple testimony of these things I know to be true: God lives, Christ is our Savior and has an infinite love for each of us, this work of ours here in Brazil is the Lord's work, we have prophets in our time, life is beautiful.

President Johnson called me into the mission office this morning to tell me of new assignments and responsibilities. I am to replace Elder Steven McFarland as mission recorder–historian. The move begins Thursday.

No comments: