"Love is one of the chief characteristics of Deity, and ought to be manifested by those who aspire to be the sons of God. A man filled with the love of God, is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race" (Joseph Smith Jr., Dec. 15, 1840; in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1969], 174).

"All I can offer the world is a good heart and a good hand" (Joseph Smith Jr., July 9, 1843; in Teachings, 313).

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Tuesday, October 15, 1968

I realized today that I am not as close to the Lord as I should be. A high degree of spirituality is lacking, not only with myself but with the district generally. As a district we have decided this. This can lead to several immediate and specific disastrous results. Without the Lord's aid we cannot adequately acquire the language. Without the Lord’s Spirit I am not becoming more of a disciple of Christ. Without more of the Spirit it becomes difficult to influence others for good and to love others fully. The list could continue, but I feel it is obvious that continuing on this plane could only prove disastrous. My prayers are going to have to ascend more earnestly, from the depths of a grateful and humble heart. I will need to be more fully committed to my duties here. I will need to be more sharing in my love and service, especially towards my companion.

Letters today came from both Mom and Jerry. The one from Mom expressed a tremendous vote of confidence and love. She has recovered from her burns of a month ago and returned to work.

No comments: