"Love is one of the chief characteristics of Deity, and ought to be manifested by those who aspire to be the sons of God. A man filled with the love of God, is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race" (Joseph Smith Jr., Dec. 15, 1840; in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1969], 174).

"All I can offer the world is a good heart and a good hand" (Joseph Smith Jr., July 9, 1843; in Teachings, 313).

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Monday, October 14, 1968

The beginning of the third week here in the Language Training Mission offered no particular problems. I think maybe the worst has passed. At least I do not expect any more discouragement to bother me in the near future. The district has a goal of speaking five from 6:00 A.M. today to 11:00 A.M. Saturday (gym hour excepted), with Tuesday for speaking six, or absolutely no English. Another challenge is spending a minimum of three hours a week with the scriptures.

During proselyting class this afternoon we moved into a fascinating discussion of perfection. It led me afterwards into the scriptures to do research on the subject. In a short while I found 11 passages in the Doctrine and Covenants talking about being able to see the Lord in this life. Some in the class were not aware that such a level of perfection was possible in this life. They could not conceive of a person remaining sinless. Last year I moved into a greatly enlarged understanding and appreciation of this and related principles. The Lord commanded us to become perfect, and He does not give commandments that He does not provide a way in which they can be accomplished.

Another letter came today from Karen. Her letters inspire me. I find no way in which the letters from her detract from my efforts here, as some elders seem to experience. My life would be very different without her.

No comments: