"Love is one of the chief characteristics of Deity, and ought to be manifested by those who aspire to be the sons of God. A man filled with the love of God, is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race" (Joseph Smith Jr., Dec. 15, 1840; in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1969], 174).

"All I can offer the world is a good heart and a good hand" (Joseph Smith Jr., July 9, 1843; in Teachings, 313).

Monday, October 20, 2008

Sunday, October 20, 1968

The third week is over now and we will soon be moving into the fourth. The rate at which time flies is simply unbelievable. This morning I gave my first talk in Portuguese, a two-and-a-half-minute one for Sunday School. I spoke briefly, very briefly, about the first principles and ordinances of the gospel. Elder Welch, our morning professor, attended just to hear it. Already I understand almost all that is going on in the meetings now.

My pen kept quite busy this weekend. I wrote letters to Ray and Sheryl congratulating them on their marriage, to Jerry, to my wonderful parents, to Karen, to Brian Rabe, to Mark Smith, and to Dave Hart. That is enough for quite a few days.

Right now my scripture reading has me in the gospel of Luke and in Third Nephi, both great books because they share insights into the life of Christ. I have within the past year developed a hungry appetite for reading the scriptures. I have found no better instruction manuals for finding happiness and excellence in life.

I have written very little on these pages concerning my companion, Elder Rencher. It will soon be three weeks we have been together, and I am developing a great love for him, and we are growing together. At first his loudness came to my notice, but my quiet disposition soon learned that acceptance was necessary if the remaining weeks here were to be tolerable. Sometime later I saw his discouragement showing through and was told by our professors to love and encourage him. I have prayed extensively for guidance in doing my best in this area. Already I feel efforts are paying off. Friday evening we prayed together alone for the first time after a particularly trying and discouraging week. In district prayer we were a little too light of heart, and Elder Rencher finally spoke some words of rebuke. We all felt bad. It was after all this that the two of us communed with heaven. He acted as mouth. For that experience together I am grateful.

The Portuguese zone received 28 more new missionaries Friday evening. The traditional welcome was extended.

Following sacrament meeting, in which Elder Welch spoke, the district called two taxis to go to Elder Welch’s trailer home for home evening.

No comments: