"Love is one of the chief characteristics of Deity, and ought to be manifested by those who aspire to be the sons of God. A man filled with the love of God, is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race" (Joseph Smith Jr., Dec. 15, 1840; in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1969], 174).

"All I can offer the world is a good heart and a good hand" (Joseph Smith Jr., July 9, 1843; in Teachings, 313).

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Tuesday, September 1, 1970

Last night’s district meeting was a challenging, inspiring session for the elders. Following “Oh My Father” as opening hymn, Elder Christensen offered the opening prayer. In business session we briefly discussed the holding of an Independence Day commemoration in MIA Saturday evening since next Monday is Brazil’s birthday. I introduced the new scroll, number four, which begins today. Its theme is “I Am Nature’s Greatest Miracle.” Our first activity was a five-minute written evaluation of each of the other three elders, including such things as first impressions, strengths, weaknesses, and overall missionary image. Elder Blackham was invited to sing “I Am a Child of God.” A second activity involved a ten-minute self-evaluation, written to include how we thought others saw us and how we saw ourselves. These evaluations were distributed to the several elders and were studied briefly and individually. I shared a few remarks on the subject “Come unto Christ,” followed by a period of testimony bearing. Elder Blackham offered the benediction after we had sung “Behold, Fast Falls the Eventide.” Our abraços afterward were ones of greater love and deeper respect than before, for “had not our hearts within us burned.”

Perhaps it would prove instructive to record here for further reference the evaluations I received. From Elder Christensen first: “You have an emanating power of authority, that is, people are very inclined to believe that what you say is true because it almost always is. You are kind and usually patient and likeable. You have good habits and are thorough. You organize things well. You seem at times unsure of yourself or image before others when you should have no worry at all.”

From Elder Smith these observations: “One thing I can say in evaluating your image is that emotion really does show in your face. I believe sometimes it may hurt someone to know how disappointed or upset you are, when if you could cover it, a solution would come before the person is hurt. I think one thing you could work on a little is humility. You live a very righteous and godlike life except many times when you express or show these attributes they are in a way as to make other people feel smaller because of their faults. Help others to feel they are better than you even if they aren’t. Your missionary efforts are hard to criticize and so I’ll stop without trying.”

My companion, Elder Blackham: “Very sharp as far as missionary image is concerned. You are concerned for other people, which is a very good trait. Now that I know you better I am aware of this concern and innate gratitude. In improving on this strong point, the only thing I see is that of expressing more to others the concern that you have for them. Another capacity you have is that of being spiritual. This is another great characteristic. Unfortunately, however, you sometimes let my conversations or that of others rob you of this spirituality. If you could keep me aware of the Spirit I should have with me, I will be able to be a help instead of a hindrance. I enjoy your humility and also your ability to love others.”

Now that is five minutes worth of how I am seen in the eyes of those who live with me and know me somewhat. Concerning myself I wrote the following observations:

“In personal evaluation, as I suspect others might see me, I would offer: an inspired and quiet missionary. Any other traits would likely be overshadowed by that image. As to physical ability or beauty, negative, and rightly so even in my own sight. I see myself as one who loves the Lord, who wants to build His kingdom, seeking after heaven’s inspiration, but because of personal weaknesses (such as trusting in the arm of flesh, fear of men, straying thoughts) living far below my capacity. I love people fairly easily. Basically I find myself a grateful, happy person. My conscience is at ease. Other people are important to me, as are such things as friendship and love. Hypocrisy I don’t like, nor cruelty in any form. I often judge others and speak evil of others when I should not.”

Immediately before yesterday’s district meeting we saw Around the World in 80 Days at the São Luiz. This is the third time I’ve seen the show, the first as a small child, the second last year in Rio. It was uplifting, clean entertainment.

Good news arrived today by way of letter from President Johnson. A special district conference will be held September 10 with Elder Gordon B. Hinckley and his wife in attendance. President and Sister Johnson will be with them. We were asked to have as many members as possible at the Recife meeting. That was truly exciting news.

Tonight Elder Blackham went home teaching with Paulo Santos Filho, Elder Smith with Aldo, I with Edmilson. Elder Christensen stayed with Alexandre for the evening. Edmilson and I visited the homes of Paulo Santos, Vitória, and Aldo.

Inez directed last night’s family home evening on the subject of prayer. She did a good job.

No comments: