"Love is one of the chief characteristics of Deity, and ought to be manifested by those who aspire to be the sons of God. A man filled with the love of God, is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race" (Joseph Smith Jr., Dec. 15, 1840; in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1969], 174).

"All I can offer the world is a good heart and a good hand" (Joseph Smith Jr., July 9, 1843; in Teachings, 313).

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Saturday, September 26, 1970

About 11:30 last night I was awakened by a knock at the door. I stumbled out of bed and found the keys and opened up the door to find two elders standing there. Our companions had finally arrived! Elders Scott Knecht and John Hendrickson came together from João Pessoa. Elder Hendrickson, my new companion, traveled together with me as we were transferred north from Rio. When I came to Maceió, he had gone to João Pessoa.

A postcard arrived from Elder Blackham. He will be working now in Jardim Botânico in Rio. I enjoyed that branch while I was there, and I pray he will also. But he made the biggest change possible within this mission. Jardim Botânico is about as different from Maceió as you can find. His companion now is Elder Terry Christiansen, the North zone leader before Elder Brinton. He is fortunate on that count.

We played volleyball this afternoon. We missed Elder Blackham on the field. As Primary showed last night and MIA this evening, and I think the choir even more tomorrow, we miss Elder Blackham’s musical abilities also. I enjoyed Elder Smith’s lesson in MIA.

No comments: