"Love is one of the chief characteristics of Deity, and ought to be manifested by those who aspire to be the sons of God. A man filled with the love of God, is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race" (Joseph Smith Jr., Dec. 15, 1840; in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1969], 174).

"All I can offer the world is a good heart and a good hand" (Joseph Smith Jr., July 9, 1843; in Teachings, 313).

Friday, April 17, 2009

Thursday, April 17, 1969

Tuesday evening Elder Stewart worked with Elder Henderson in their area, leaving Elder Richins and me to work in ours. We had an unconfirmed third lesson marked with Irmão Victor. When we arrived he was still at work. He works a great deal these days. Having hoped for the best, having planned for the worst, and taking what came, we presented to his wife a review and vision-expanding lesson using the Arnold Friberg Book of Mormon pictures and a set of 30 other pictures.

Today was the mission fast, and we continued it until our lesson with William and his family was over because we wanted the lesson about the mission of Christ to be a special spiritual experience for them. Irmão José attended again. The Lord's Spirit was present at times, but not as much as I would like to have seen. We committed them hard, including baptism on April 26. His wife is slowly and steadily progressing, while I wonder at times if William has not stopped or is even retrogressing. The two oldest boys have always been sharp. The commitments will bring progress and, if they comply, will have them ready for baptism on the planned date.

My appreciation and love for the Savior grew a great deal today. While fasting I was pleading for His Spirit to be with me while working with William's family. As always when I feel closer to the Lord, I was overwhelmed with gratitude for what I have been blessed with. I was reading in the Book of Mormon various chapters dealing with the Savior and His life and mission (2 Nephi 2, 9, 31; Mosiah 3, 4; Alma 32, 24; and Moroni 8) and realized more what the Savior has done.

No comments: