"Love is one of the chief characteristics of Deity, and ought to be manifested by those who aspire to be the sons of God. A man filled with the love of God, is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race" (Joseph Smith Jr., Dec. 15, 1840; in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1969], 174).

"All I can offer the world is a good heart and a good hand" (Joseph Smith Jr., July 9, 1843; in Teachings, 313).

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Monday, August 3, 1970

A letter to Mom and Dad:

Today is my birthday. Thirteen years ago today I was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ. It is strange how memory works at times, because even now I can still remember with somewhat clarity that day in my life.

I hear by the grapevine that Lyle and Barbara had a baby girl [after seven boys]. I didn’t even know they were expecting, and I thought they specialized only in boys. They won’t know what to do with a girl.

What ever happened to Sister Yorgason? About seven or eight months ago you wrote saying she had cancer bad and would live only a few months longer.

Also I have never heard anything about what I need to do to vote by absentee ballot. It must be getting rather close to the necessary deadlines. It has been several months since I wrote asking about it.

Did anybody ever get my priesthood line of authority from President Hurren? It has been well over a year since I asked for that. Now that I am a branch president I need it badly. Please!

I do hope the postcards are on their way by now or they’ll never make it on time and that would wreck our carnival plans for the branch.

Everybody is wholly silent on what is wrong with Jerry. Is he better now? He never has mentioned a thing in his last two letters.

When does Dale go to school? It must be beginning soon.

May heaven bless. Smile.

No comments: