"Love is one of the chief characteristics of Deity, and ought to be manifested by those who aspire to be the sons of God. A man filled with the love of God, is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race" (Joseph Smith Jr., Dec. 15, 1840; in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1969], 174).

"All I can offer the world is a good heart and a good hand" (Joseph Smith Jr., July 9, 1843; in Teachings, 313).

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Tuesday, July 7, 1970

Sunday night when Captain George asked for money he showed me baptism certificates, letters, tithing receipts—all of which are duplicates. He is a friend, as he reports, of many Brazilian Church leaders, including mission presidents, most of whom are no longer in Brazil. Yesterday at noon we were to meet Captain George, but first Elder Smith and I went to his hotel to warn the manager and to release the Church from any responsibility. The other elders went to meet him at the church but found only a note telling us he had already left.

This afternoon before Primary started, he spoke with me again. He said we should not have gone to his hotel because now he has been kicked out, despite his claim to have known the manager for 18 years. He asked me if I had ever seen a Mormon sleep on a street. I answered no. He replied that after tonight he would be sleeping on the street. I made it clear that the branch could not help him because I was not authorized to release funds, which he knew, and that the elders were in no position to help, which is what he is after. He said we could help him if we wanted and indicated he could cause trouble if he desired. I suggested he go to all his many friends in the city he says he has. He said he would not beg. I told him there was a fundamental difference between begging and borrowing. He really started to chop up Aldo, which filled me up pretty quick. I told him rather bluntly that I didn’t want to hear another bad word about Aldo because he was the stronghold of the branch and trying to be a good member of the Church.

Captain George shot back, “I have more documents proving who I am than he does.” Things were wearing thin. I told him that documents proved nothing, that good Mormons don’t go around causing trouble or talking evil of others behind their backs, that Aldo was indeed a good member of the Church. He left upset, probably mad, and foiled.

Edmilson and Alexandre were missionaries for today, and both of them worked with three elders each. Edmilson really enjoyed the day and has increased his enthusiasm about serving a full-time mission.
Last night at Aldo’s we held the first home evening out of the new home evening manual. Elder Blackham and I ran the lesson and the activity. Sonia and Simone, relatives of Aldo’s, also attended. We are going to have them there regularly.

No comments: