"Love is one of the chief characteristics of Deity, and ought to be manifested by those who aspire to be the sons of God. A man filled with the love of God, is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race" (Joseph Smith Jr., Dec. 15, 1840; in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1969], 174).

"All I can offer the world is a good heart and a good hand" (Joseph Smith Jr., July 9, 1843; in Teachings, 313).

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Friday, June 12, 1970

When I arrived in Maceió on a Wednesday night nearly two months ago, I attended a party at Aldo’s house. When Elder Smith arrived in Maceió, also on a Wednesday night, he attended a party at Aldo’s house. When Elder Smith was transferred into my district in Ramos last fall, I had been sick, just recovering from bronchitis. When Elder Smith was transferred into my district in Maceió this week, I had been and was sick. Who says history cannot repeat itself?

Aldo drove Elders Bradshaw and Camargo to Recife yesterday afternoon. I was saddened to see them go. During the few months here I had grown close to both of them. They had been together as companions here in Maceió for nearly seven months. They were both good missionaries. I was humbly grateful for their faithful service, their untiring devotion to duty, their simple loyalty. They were working to build the kingdom and were not, as some missionaries, bogged down by any petty problems. Ever they were growing. I cherish their brotherhood and friendship.

No comments: