"Love is one of the chief characteristics of Deity, and ought to be manifested by those who aspire to be the sons of God. A man filled with the love of God, is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race" (Joseph Smith Jr., Dec. 15, 1840; in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1969], 174).

"All I can offer the world is a good heart and a good hand" (Joseph Smith Jr., July 9, 1843; in Teachings, 313).

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Monday, May 18, 1970

I sent the following letter today to Elders Evan A. Ballard, Jeff Boswell, and Steve Hill:

“To my beloved friends and brothers,

“’Ever and always startling is the swiftness with which time goes, the speed at which life passes. My departed hours—where are they? The poet asked in anguish. The weeks seem hours only.’ As time slips ever away, this thought from Richard L. Evans seems appropriate. How starkly true the thought, the realization that weeks seem hours only. A missionary appreciates such a thought, wishing at moments that time were his control. It is with this thought in mind that I choose once again to resort to mass communication tactics.

“The richness and goodness of life is at times nearly over-whelming. My life is busy and full, but even fuller is the gratitude of an overflowing heart for the blessings I enjoy. Life itself is a great privilege—it is a joy to live in this glorious dispensation of time. I count my family and friends and you, my associates in the work of the Lord, as among my greatest blessings. We are members of the Church of Jesus Christ, we hold the priesthood of God, we are elders in Israel, we have a knowledge of the truthfulness of this ‘marvelous work and a wonder.’ The pure love of Christ, as scripturally termed, has swelled within my heart to expand into happiness and joy.

“Since my last communication with most of you, we have lost a beloved leader and prophet, President David O. McKay. His kindly counsel, his loving wisdom, his grateful example are missed. There is no doubt of the glorious homecoming he has had on the other side. And there is no doubt that President Joseph Fielding Smith is anointed of the Lord to preside among us now, standing as His prophet and mouthpiece. But I loved President McKay. Although never having met him personally (I have been in his presence), I feel the loss of a personal friend. In his life, more than in any other man of this generation, could I see in perfection a truly Christlike life. As Harold B. Lee explained at his funeral, ‘As a special witness of our Lord and Master, he lighted the lamps of faith of many by the intensity of the fire within his own soul.’ I like that. He lighted the lamps of faith . . . by the intensity of the fire within his own soul!

“On this day I stand particularly humbled, aware a bit more of my relationship with God and the trust that is mine. Yesterday I was appointed president of the branch of Maceió. Coupled with the responsibility of being a missionary and a district leader, I sense more than ever a necessity to rely on the Lord. Here I am presiding over the most important organization in the state of Alagoas, the Church of Jesus Christ. This is the Lord’s work. It cannot fail. To that degree that we allow ourselves to be instruments in His hands we shall be suc-cessful.

“With all of you I share the solemn witness that is mine. God lives. Jesus Christ is the Son of God and our Savior. This Church was organized by Christ Himself through a prophet called Joseph Smith. The kingdom is rolling forth.

“Upon my mind recently has been impressed the thoughts: He who would be a disciple of Jesus Christ must be the servant of all. Righteousness is power. Sacrifice brings forth heaven’s blessings. The gospel, when its ordinances and principles are faithfully obeyed, is the power of God unto salvation; it is real; here and now our lives can be changed, uplifted, sanctified.

“May heaven’s blessings be more fully ours as we continue in the great trust committed to our care. I subscribe myself your friend and brother, [signed].”

This morning at the SESC we played basketball for about two hours. It has been a long time since I’ve done that. A bit of stiffness has set in already.

Our scheduled home evening with Aldo did not happen because he had to travel to Recife to pick up some parts for his shop. We did have a good talk with Irmã Virginia. All reading assignments will continue until next week.

No comments: