"Love is one of the chief characteristics of Deity, and ought to be manifested by those who aspire to be the sons of God. A man filled with the love of God, is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race" (Joseph Smith Jr., Dec. 15, 1840; in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1969], 174).

"All I can offer the world is a good heart and a good hand" (Joseph Smith Jr., July 9, 1843; in Teachings, 313).

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Saturday, November 1, 1969

Thursday afternoon I received fresh from the States a new com­panion, Elder Alan Hatch from southern Arizona. Two other elders are new to the district also, making eight of us for right now. Elder William Smith, who transferred from Vitória, and his brand new com­panion from the States, Elder Doug Neiswender, will be living and working in Penha. Receiving new elders, especially a new com­panion, is quite exciting.

That same evening I brought the elders back to Ramos and show­ed them around a little bit and took them to Bob's to eat. The four of us slept at our place on Rua Tupí because the furniture for Elders Smith and Neiswender came Friday morning.

Friday morning Elder Hatch and I traveled up to Hospital Sil­ves­tre to have my toe checked out and bandage changed. As far as I can tell, I am recovered from my bronchitis. It takes a lot to keep a good man down for long.

Elder Hatch arrived knowing two lessons rather shakily. He has the desire to be a good and dedicated missionary. My challenge is to help him along to the best of my abilities, loving him, being a friend, inspiring him, helping him with the language, showing him the right methods and attitudes.

No comments: