"Love is one of the chief characteristics of Deity, and ought to be manifested by those who aspire to be the sons of God. A man filled with the love of God, is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race" (Joseph Smith Jr., Dec. 15, 1840; in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1969], 174).

"All I can offer the world is a good heart and a good hand" (Joseph Smith Jr., July 9, 1843; in Teachings, 313).

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Monday, October 20, 1969

In an inspired and what may prove to be prophetic speech yesterday in quarterly district conference, President Johnson challenged the members of the district to prepare for a stake by next October. He issued specific goals and guidelines, calling them challenges and opportunities: (1) at least 40 percent sacrament meeting attendance, double the present rate; (2) increased fast offerings; (3) at least 75 per-cent home teaching completed monthly; (4) better support of leaders; (5) increased reverence in meetings; (6) 1,000 people attending the next conference in January, an increase of 400; and (7) 1,000 baptisms by the missionary force by next October, members helping with at least one member referral per month.

This was the fourth district conference I have attended and was by far the best. Seeing members again from Petrópolis and Jardim Botânico was particularly neat. I met with all three of the families we baptized in Jardim Botânico, all of them still strong and active. Over 600 were at the conference, the Meier Branch having the most with over 150 members.

Following the general session of conference, a baptismal service was held in which I baptized Victor Ferreira’s wife and daughter, both of whom were not ready to baptism when Victor was baptized in August. I also baptized some lady from Petrópolis. It did my heart good to see Maria Helena and Maria das Graças finally join.

Elder Philip Richins, my old district leader and now district leader in Petrópolis, was staying the night in Rio. After the baptism, he and his companion came with us to eat and spend the afternoon until sacrament meeting time. Both Tijuca and Meier met together at 6:00 for the meeting. I was drafted to play the organ. A short district meeting followed.

Today I was still feeling down with my bad cold (as far as I know it could be pneumonia) and we stayed home all day catching up odd details and answering letters and resting. I wrote to my family, Jerry, Jackie, Sister Halliday, Elder Jeff Boswell, and Elder Monte Stewart.

Richard Lynn Cleverly is my newest nephew, born during September to my brother Ray and his wife Sheryl. All are doing fine.

During the past weeks the weather has been unstable, alternating with heat and cold, rain and shine. This evening it was raining again. If for no other reason, it becomes difficult to kick a cold.
I wrote a letter to my family today and pretty much reported on the quarterly district conference and the goals President Johnson outlined. I continued:

"At the conference I saw again many wonderful friends from other branches I have worked in. Especially good to see is that every family I have helped baptize is active and progressing in the Church. Following the conference I had the wonderful opportunity to baptize a lady and her daughter we taught while working in the mission office. The father and son of this family we baptized in August. It was simply thrilling to see this lady finally enter the waters of baptism. Next Saturday we will baptize one more man we have just finished teaching.

"I do not like to be the ungrateful type, and I am the first to recognize that any and all success we are meeting here is due directly to the Lord and the workings of His Holy Spirit on the hearts of men. This is His work, not man’s. It is the Holy Ghost that converts, not us. We are such unworthy servants.

"Thanks for your support, love, and prayers. I love to receive your letters. Don't forget us in your prayers. May heaven's blessings be with you."

No comments: