"Love is one of the chief characteristics of Deity, and ought to be manifested by those who aspire to be the sons of God. A man filled with the love of God, is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race" (Joseph Smith Jr., Dec. 15, 1840; in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1969], 174).

"All I can offer the world is a good heart and a good hand" (Joseph Smith Jr., July 9, 1843; in Teachings, 313).

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Monday, June 2, 1969

Early today the districts of Jardim Botânico and Headquarters gather­ed their forces and traveled across the bay to Niterói, planning there to meet the Niterói and São Gonçalo districts in a big football game. Rain was falling as we crossed the bay by ferry but ceased soon after our arrival in Niterói. We were scheduled to meet at 8:00, but only half of them showed up, an elder pair from each district. Since they lost by forfeit, we chose up sides and played anyway.

During the afternoon Elder Stewart and I went to the show Around the World in 80 Days. Although I had seen it once before as a very young boy, I actually remembered little of it. It was a refreshing and wholesome movie.

For district meeting I had been assigned to speak concerning our right and responsibility to pray for spirituality and baptisms. I had been thinking about the topic during the week but was not fully pre­pared. When I told Elder Henderson I could give it mais ou menos this week or better prepared next week, he chose the latter.

President and Sister Johnson returned from their trip north. Elder Boyd Clements, Tijuca district and zone leader, left for home tonight. I was able to express my gratitude and bid him farewell.

No comments: