"Love is one of the chief characteristics of Deity, and ought to be manifested by those who aspire to be the sons of God. A man filled with the love of God, is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race" (Joseph Smith Jr., Dec. 15, 1840; in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1969], 174).

"All I can offer the world is a good heart and a good hand" (Joseph Smith Jr., July 9, 1843; in Teachings, 313).

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Friday, September 27, 1968

Today I received my endowment in the Salt Lake Temple. The sacred nature of these ordinances and instructions in the Lord's house prevent elaborations concerning the wonderful experience. We were told that a person receiving his endowment for the first time could not come out of the temple the same person who went in. I know that to be true in my own case. The experience is a maturing and growing one.

After the first session we were able to enter the assembly room to have questions answered for an hour by Elder Harold B. Lee of the Twelve. Then we had another session, in which I served proxy for a John Plowright Russell, who was born in 1796. I gained considerably more from this second session than from the first. At 3:30, after nearly eight and a half hours within the temple, we were through.

Only an hour remained for our final meal at the Hotel Utah, for last minute packing, and farewells. Group pictures including Elders Hill, Cannon, Boswell, LeSueur, Ballard, and myself were taken. I bid Elders Boswell and Cannon good-bye for two and a half years. The others I will still run into occasionally in Provo. Of the four busses hauling missionaries to the Language Training Mission, the Portuguese one had 28 missionaries on it headed for the three Brazilian missions.

No comments: